Blue card Residence Permit Application Process Munich, Germany: Q&A

Once you arrive in Germany on a work Visa, you need to apply for residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) to be able to continue to stay in Germany. The entry visa is only valid for less than 6 months. Hence, you it is important to apply for residence permit as soon as possible before your visa expires.

In this article we are going to focus on Blue card residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) which is available for IT Professionals, Scientists, Mathematicians, Engineers and Doctors with salary over €43,056 and €55,200 for all other professions.

Blue card Residence Permit Check List

  • Address Registration Confirmation
  • Completed Application Form (Download)
  • Passport
  • University Degree Certificate (Digital Copy)
  • Anabin confirmation of your degree
  • Employment contract
  • Declaration on employment relationship (Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis)
  • Proof of income (Salary Pay Slip or confirmation of salary)
  • Appointment at KVR
  • Biometric Photo

Application Process

The application process is partially online. So first you need to upload all documents online here (

Once the documents are submitted online, you will receive appointment at KVR. Usually this is within a week or two from the date you submitted the application online. The office you need to visit is the The Foreigners Office or Ausländerbehörde at 2nd floor of KVR building at Ruppertstraße 19.

This the main KVR office in Munich and tend to be very busy. But with appointment you can easily get through. Wait in the waiting area until your token is displayed on the screen. Mostly they only ask for passport and a biometric photo as the rest of the documents were already uploaded. But it is good idea to carry hard copy of all the documents.

The process takes about 30 mins and if your application approved you need to pay 100 EUR in fee. A confirmation letter is given at the end of the process. The bluecard residence permit will take about 4-8 weeks to arrive at your address.

Frequently Asked Question

  1. Do people at KVR speak English?

Yes, they do speak good English.

  1. Can I pay the fee with credit/debit card?

Yes, it is possible. But not sure if all cards are accepted.

  1. Is hard copy of University Degree Certificate required?

In most cases they don’t ask for any hard copy other than passport.

  1. Is payslip mandatory?

Nope, you can provide a confirmation of salary from your employer if you don’t have payslip.

If you have any questions, please comment below and check later for answer.

69 thoughts on “Blue card Residence Permit Application Process Munich, Germany: Q&A

  • KK Nakka

    Thank you for this write up.

    I have one question:
    My employer asked me to request for “Fiktionsbescheinigung”. May I know can I request for this document during the blue card appointment at KVR.


    • mkerala

      Yes, they will usually issue this only if your current blue card visa expires within 3 months or if you are on job seeker visa.

  • Kevin

    Thank you very much for this article, very informative.
    I have a question: Once I get the confirmation letter at the appointment, does it mean I can start working? Or do I need to wait the 4-8 weeks for the residence permit to arrive?

    • mkerala

      You can start working if you already have bluecard visa. Else with the letter from the foreigners office of KVR.

      • Ok, prefect, thank you. I should have mentioned that I have a Jobseekers Visa, so I needed to wait for the blue card. Glad I can use the letter!

        • mkerala

          You can. But just confirm with them during the application process.

          • Thanks, will make sure with them. Just needed to make some decisions regarding the start of my employment. Gives some comfort if the letter could mean I could start on time (1 February).

  • Hamid Reza Salimian

    Hi Nikhil,
    Thank you so much, due to your information.
    does My wife need to fill out a separate form? if so, Which form My wife should fill out?
    we both live in Munich.

  • Nikhil Funde

    Is it possible to apply for residence permit for wife while my Bluecard application is still under process?

      • Nikhil Funde

        But the application form for my wife is asking what kind of residence permit I have.
        Residence permit or settlement permit.
        So, I will have to tick residence permit but then it is asking the validity date of the same. What will I fill in that case if I dont already have my bluecard.

        • mkerala

          Both you and wife can apply for residence permit at the same time. They don’t ask for your residence permit anywhere. Just put the type you have applied for and eligible.

          • Nikhil Funde

            My wife was not in Germany when I had applied for the blue card. Now she is in Germany and I want to apply for her residence permit. My bluecard is in progress ( appointment done). In this case, how can I apply for her residence permit.

          • mkerala

            No where during the process they ask for your blue card or its details. So she can apply.

          • Nikhil Funde

            In the application form in section 7, they are asking about spouses details. In my wife’s case, it would be my details. There they are asking what type of residence permit I have and it’s validity.
            7. Angaben Ehepartner*in/ oder eingetragenen Lebenspartner*in/
            Data concerning married spouse/ common law spouse/ registered partner

            Art und Dauer des Aufent-
            Kind and duration of the residence

            O Aufenthaltserlaubnis gültig bis/ residence permit valid until
            ONiederlassungserlaubnis/ settlement permit
            I hope I am using the correct application form. Please advise

          • mkerala

            You can leave this field blank. It is common for both spouses to apply for residence permit at the same time without these details and no need wait for bluecard. As it will take up to 3 months for bluecard, it doesn’t make sense to wait for it to apply for family reunification as existing visa will expire in 3 months. So please proceed and apply for your wife.

    • Hi Nikhil,
      Good luck on your application for family reunification. As you may know, in the online application form there is a field, in which is asked to upload a proof
      of German language, and it is with (*) so mandatory, please do let us know how did you managed to go further with it. For Blue Card holders as far as I know is not required the proof of language for the spouse, but in the online form it is still present.
      Thank you

      • mkerala

        On a sheet of paper mention spouse is eligible for bluecard and hence, language is not required. Upload it.

  • Monique Hull

    Hi, thanks so much for this information. It is really clear and easy to follow. One question, since I might not have a pay slip before the appointment, what constitutes confirmation of pay from the company? Is the work contract enough or is there another form for the confirmation that the company can prepare? Thanks, Monique

    • mkerala

      Ask your employer for statement with your salary details.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *